[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not populating EPG

Chris Lewis chrislewis915 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 19:58:23 UTC 2012

> This is what happens in the UK, Nick. You do a scan for digital channels,
> and
> the scanner builds a complete list of what you can receive - based on
> over-the-air data. So far so good. But then you run mythfilldatabase, and
> it
> *completely* ignores the entries which are already there, instead building
> complete duplicate list with the xmltvids in, plus variations on the
> callsign.
>
> This is a right pain in the backside. After this nonsense, I usually
> select and
> print out the whole table for reference, then delete the whole lot,
> re-scan and
> enter (by hand) the correct callsigns and xmltvids in the channel entries
> I know
> are going to receive content.
>
> Needless to say I don't do this very often.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I'm thinking aloud a little here.  What about a script that scrapes one of
the websites that lists all the channel data for the bird you are
interested in  (something like http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php for
the UK FTA stuff) inserts the relevant XMLTV id's etc etc and builds a
channel sql table from there.

What I'm thinking is that we shouldn't need to scan for any channels (for
either DVB-S or DVB-T) here in the UK as all the information about what
channel is on what mux and the relevant PIDs etc.  Can't we tell MythTV
what channels are available?

I don't know how many tables are required or how feasible this is.  I'm
guessing its more complicated than the channel table.  I suppose the
dtv_multiplex table would also be involved but could this be created in a
similar way?

If someone can explain to me exactly what tables need what data,
then I might see if I can have a go at hacking something together!

Chris