[mythtv-users] problems with VIDEO_TS directories

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 03:45:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote on Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 04:27:49PM -0600:
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>> > I'm starting to rip my DVD collection to my hard drive with the intent
>> > of watching them in MythVideo. I started with ISO, but I ripped the
>> > last couple as VIDEO_TS. I'm able to play the VIDEO_TS directories
>> > (except see below), and I'm able to set a bookmark when I exit in the
>> > middle of the movie or episode. However, when I play the same VIDEO_TS
>> > later, expecting to resume at the bookmark, MythVideo simply starts at
>> > the beginning without offering me the option to resume. The ISOs
>> > respect the bookmark. This is on 0.24.1. Is this expected behavior? If
>> > so, will 0.25 behave the same way? Am I better off just sticking to
>> > ISO?
>> >
>> > I've had one problem playing the VIDEO_TS directories. I've had to
>> > first play an ISO (any ISO, even just for a second) before I could
>> > play a VIDEO_TS. Without playing the ISO first, I'd get the "Please
>> > Wait..." message for 30 seconds or so and then I was returned to the
>> > menu. I've only tried this a couple of times, so maybe it's just a
>> > fluke. I did see it on two different frontends, however, trying and
>> > failing with multiple VIDEO_TS directories before playing an ISO,
>> > after which the VIDEO_TS directories started right up.
>>
>> You say you are running 0.24.1... do you mean that literially, or are
>> you running 0.24-fixes, which might be labeled somewhere/somehow as
>> 0.24.1?
>> If you aren't running 0.24-fixes, I would encourage you do to so...
>> even if a number of users (including myself) continue to have DVD and
>> ISO playback issues, I seem to recall that there are some related
>> issues that were resolved on the 0.24-fixes branch after the 0.24.1
>> snapshot was taken.
>
> I'm running 0.24.1-fixes-20111126 on a debian combined
> backend/frontend. I'm also running 0.24.0-fixes-20110416 on two
> Mythbuntu 11.04 frontends. (I've tried to update those to more recent
> fixes versions, but I can't figure out how. apt-get, synaptic, and
> update manager all show that mythtv-frontend is at its latest version,
> even after an apt-get update.) I see the same bookmark behavior on
> all three frontends.
>
> As far as needing to play an ISO before I can play a VIDEO_TS, after
> some more experiments that doesn't appear to be true. On my two
> Mythbuntu FEs, a newly-ripped VIDEO_TS still won't play on the first
> attempt, but it will on the second and subsequent attempts. On my
> debian BE/FE, it will play on the first attempt.

Are these VIDEO_TS directories decrypted? If they are encrypted then
the decrypting software takes some time to generate keys (or whatever
it does).

Perhaps there is a timeout difference between versions? Or a
computational power difference which makes the process complete before
the timeout on one machine but not the other?

Once it is done once, the encryption keys are stored somewhere, and so
 on the second try there is no delay?

Just a guess on my part :)