[mythtv-users] problems with VIDEO_TS directories

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 13 02:29:03 UTC 2012

Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote on Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 04:27:49PM -0600:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> > I'm starting to rip my DVD collection to my hard drive with the intent
> > of watching them in MythVideo. I started with ISO, but I ripped the
> > last couple as VIDEO_TS. I'm able to play the VIDEO_TS directories
> > (except see below), and I'm able to set a bookmark when I exit in the
> > middle of the movie or episode. However, when I play the same VIDEO_TS
> > later, expecting to resume at the bookmark, MythVideo simply starts at
> > the beginning without offering me the option to resume. The ISOs
> > respect the bookmark. This is on 0.24.1. Is this expected behavior? If
> > so, will 0.25 behave the same way? Am I better off just sticking to
> > ISO?
> >
> > I've had one problem playing the VIDEO_TS directories. I've had to
> > first play an ISO (any ISO, even just for a second) before I could
> > play a VIDEO_TS. Without playing the ISO first, I'd get the "Please
> > Wait..." message for 30 seconds or so and then I was returned to the
> > menu. I've only tried this a couple of times, so maybe it's just a
> > fluke. I did see it on two different frontends, however, trying and
> > failing with multiple VIDEO_TS directories before playing an ISO,
> > after which the VIDEO_TS directories started right up.
>
> You say you are running 0.24.1... do you mean that literially, or are
> you running 0.24-fixes, which might be labeled somewhere/somehow as
> 0.24.1?
> If you aren't running 0.24-fixes, I would encourage you do to so...
> even if a number of users (including myself) continue to have DVD and
> ISO playback issues, I seem to recall that there are some related
> issues that were resolved on the 0.24-fixes branch after the 0.24.1
> snapshot was taken.

I'm running 0.24.1-fixes-20111126 on a debian combined
backend/frontend. I'm also running 0.24.0-fixes-20110416 on two
Mythbuntu 11.04 frontends. (I've tried to update those to more recent
fixes versions, but I can't figure out how. apt-get, synaptic, and
update manager all show that mythtv-frontend is at its latest version,
even after an apt-get update.) I see the same bookmark behavior on
all three frontends.

As far as needing to play an ISO before I can play a VIDEO_TS, after
some more experiments that doesn't appear to be true. On my two
Mythbuntu FEs, a newly-ripped VIDEO_TS still won't play on the first
attempt, but it will on the second and subsequent attempts. On my
debian BE/FE, it will play on the first attempt.