[mythtv-users] Confused about how front end display gets turn off(DPMS)

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 03:04:24 UTC 2012

Recently installed Mythbuntu 11.10 on two front ends.  What I want is
for the display to turn off when it's sitting at a Mythtv menu idle.

One front end works correctly (they way I think it should) right out
of the box with no modifications and the other didn't

The display that worked with no modification is actually a Samsung 55
inch LED TV(HDMI connection).  The problematic display is a Samsung 23
inch monitor(DVI connection).

The 23 inch display would go into screen saver blank screen but never
turn the display off.

The modification that I had to do and was using in the past was to add
an entry to the login users .bashrc file

xset dpms 0 0 600

And then add a startup script to /home/user/.config/autostart/dpms.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application