[mythtv-users] Is interleaving memory still the best bet for an Atom?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 05:27:36 UTC 2012

Hi

On 11 January 2012 14:21, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> The VDPAU implementation prefers 512MB of video memory, and the old
> shared memory ION systems required 2GB of system memory before they
> would allow you to allocate 512MB to graphics.  Your ION2 D525 has
> dedicated video memory built into it, and does not share between the CPU
> and graphics.

For info.

I've just build a new frontend based on a 2010 mac mini (nvidia 320M).
It has 4GB of RAM, but only 256MB of video ram.

I have to say it works brilliantly. I would have thought 256MB
wouldn't be enough.

I replaced the 320GB hard drive with a cheap 40GB intel SSD (not much
faster than the hard drive really)
It's by far the best frontend I've ever setup.

It's tiny... Use 0W in sleep mode (well, I can't detect a power usage
with the basic tools I have at hand) and 11W watching live TV.
It peaks at 17W when I scroll fast in the recording list.

So tiny power footprint.

Setting it up with mythbuntu 11.04 was a breeze, everything worked out
of the box with no mess up, including sleep mode.

What took me the longest was setting up the remote control. With
mythtv, the basic 6 buttons on the remote are useless. So playing with
the remote that allows to change the base code, I recorded about 50
unique IR codes that I mapped to my logitech remote.
I can put it to sleep with the remote, and the beauty is that it wakes
up when the TV is powered on...

Too bad the new mini has an ATI or intel graphic...

Jean-Yves