[mythtv-users] Ubuntu TV

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 22:16:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> On 12-01-10 04:52 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:
> >
> > Nice to see that they're making it touchscreen-compatible. I built an
> HTPC
> > a couple years ago with a Dell all-in-one touchscreen system and it
> worked
> > fairly well, but not having a "back" on-screen button in Myth or XBMC
> made
> > it a little cumbersome.
>
> A touchscreen television?  Didn't the concept of having to go to the
> television to select something go away with the remote control?
>
> How does a remote control map to a touch interface?  The best I can
> think of would be a Wii type interface were the remote moves a finger
> around the screen touching things.  Very cumbersome.
>
> Another place where they are trying to ram a "touchscreen" interface in
> where it doesn't belong -- just like they are doing with on traditional
> keyboard-and-mouse platforms.
>
> Unity is horrible on a computer with a mouse and keyboard.

You're being one-dimensional with what MythTV and its ilk can do. My
project wasn't meant to be a TV, it was a media hub for the kitchen. Get
home, tap a couple things, play media. It had apps like XBMC and MythTV for
media, and I used Chrome to app-i-size some websites like Pandora and
Napster. Worked pretty well overall.

I sold the box last year when I needed the money and haven't gotten around
to building a new one. I threw up a couple pics at http://imgur.com/a/x3lye