[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Jan 9 15:54:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Craig Cook <cncook001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hmmm... I am aware of the high load count values on these drives.
>
> Does anyone have actual data showing a correlation between a high load count
> and early drive failure?
>
> Or, is this just folks panicking about a "high" number reported on their
> drives?
>
> Yes, I realise this is a mechanical device, less work should mean longer
> life, but is there proof that this load count causes early failures?

I don't know. With most drive failures, people really have no idea why
exactly they failed. Probably only the manufacturer could determine
that, and I suspect they wouldn't have any interest in releasing those
numbers. Still, when the drive easily goes several times beyond what
the manufacturer has rated it for, and it's a relatively trivial issue
to fix, I'd rather play it safe.

--
Ron Frazier