[mythtv-users] Mythbutu 11.04 -> 11.10 breaks X-server

R KANNAN rk111810 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 00:01:18 UTC 2012

> Message: 9
> Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:40:05 -0800
> From: jk90090 <jk90090 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Mythbutu 11.04 -> 11.10 breaks X-server
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>
> On 1/6/12 5:11 PM, R KANNAN wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I had a working version of Mythbuntu 11.04 on my laptop and I gave in
> > to frequent suggestions from it to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.00 this
> > afternoon. Friday afternoon is not a good time to update. After
> > installing the updates, it restarted and I found that the X server is
> > broke.
> >
> > I can login to the consoles Alt-F1...Alt-F5 fine but the X server
> > shows a blank seen. The Myth backend seems to be running fine and so
> > is Mythweb web server (Apache). The file system seems OK but the
> > X-display flashes for a few times and there is a blank screen. I have
> > tried..
> >
> > init 3
> > init 5
> >
> > to restart the X server with the same result.
> >
> > I see an error message flash by just after grub but I cannot make out
> > anything. It switches then to purple splash screen before the flashing
> > followed by
> >
> > I thought the update should not change the configuration files and so
> > should work as before.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> Start with looking in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors.
> Next, I found Ubuntu troublesome when trying to install video drivers,
> so there could be a kernel driver mismatch or something.  apt-get update
> && apt-get upgrade to make sure everything is updated and installed.
> For instance today I loaded Mythbuntu, which defaulted to Nvidia 175.x
> driver.  I enabled the repo for 285.x (or whatever # it is) and
> installed it, but 175 just stayed as the working driver.  I'm no Ubuntu
> expert, so there was probably a trick to getting it working, but in the
> end I just removed the 175 driver which made the nvidia-current (285)
> become the working driver.
>
> -JK
>
> Thanks for your replies. apt-get update & apt-get upgrade did not upgrade
any packages for me. I also renamed /etc/gdm/custom.conf as suggested to
avoid auto-login without any luck. But here is what I found...

looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and found the following

[    77.000] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan  7
08:35:29 2012
[    77.000] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[    77.000] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
[    77.000] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[    77.000] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[    77.000] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[    77.000] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
        Using a default monitor configuration.
[    77.001] (==) Automatically adding devices
[    77.001] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[    77.001] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/
cyrillic" does not exist.

So there is no configuration but using defaults. The conf files under
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d did not have Screen or Monitor sections. They
had several input sections similar to

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

So I tried to create a new configuration file with

Xorg -configure

I ot the following:

(EE) Failed to load module "vmwgfx" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) vmware: Please ignore the above warnings about not being able to to
load module/driver vmwgfx
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
  Configuration failed.
 ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

I cannot understand where the two screens are coming from.

At one time with my old configuration I had added an external monitor and
disabled it in Xfwm window manager. I tried turning the external monitor on
without any luck.