[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Jan 6 17:36:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net> wrote:
> The second drive, a WD10EARS-00Y5B1 with 512 byte sectors, is used as the boot
> drive and contains the database. The drive has been in service about 30 months
> and shows a Load Cycle Count of 1636408. This one seems too large, particularly
> if the lifetime value is really 300K.

No, from what I've read, that seams about right. Min was over 500K in
18 months, but I read of people with 600k top 800k in 12 months.

300k isn't the drop dead value, but it's all that the manufacturer
says it is designed for. You may be fine going way beyond that (as a
lot of people are), but unless absolutely necessary, it's probably a
good idea to try an keep it operating within spec if possible.

--
Ron Frazier