[mythtv-users] How to get mythtv-buildrebuild.py to work with MythWeb? ; WAS: GetPreviewImage is checking for recording at wrong start time

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Jan 5 18:50:16 UTC 2012

On 1/5/2012 13:05, Robert McNamara wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:31 AM, jk90090 <jk90090 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jk90090 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Robert, correct me if I'm wrong, but the mythtv-buildrebuild.py
>     pulls the latest tarball from github, specifically to ignore the
>     latest ebuilds sitting on github which can be days or weeks
>     outdated.  The script currently only seems to work for pulling the
>     latest mythtv tarball (and I would guess related packages like
>     mythgallery etc, except mythweb) but doesn't work for mythweb.  As
>     such, it creates an out-of-sync condition which led to my thinking
>     that I had a defect.  So in one sense, we 'appear' to have a
>     'defect' with the script since I can't effectively update the
>     entire system to the latest set of commits with it, while I'll
>     admit on the otherhand we have an enhancement request to make the
>     script work with mythweb.
>

> The scripts don't touch mythweb at all, they only concern themselves
> with MythTV and the plugins themselves.  The author of the script
> expects you to simply check out mythweb rather than expect it to be
> packaged.  The author of the scripts simply doesn't use Mythweb on
> gentoo and as such, doesn't provide any support for updating it with
> his script.

That's more or less correct.  Considering MythWeb is in its own
repository, and runs uncompiled directly out of its own repository, I
never saw much purpose to a MythWeb ebuild.  Personally, I just have a
checkout in my webroot, and an update is just a 'git pull' away.  Every
so slightly more effort than were it lumped into an 'emerge -uD world'.
On that note, the only reason media-tv/mythtv-bindings exists is to grab
the PHP bindings for MythWeb.

I do have a rewritten and expanded version of the updater that should
work for MythWeb and nuvexport, but it's more buggy and mess than I want
to commit, and both of those repos will need some additional tagging
before the support actually works.

> Further, if you want more up to date mythweb from the existing ebuild
> files, users of master are expected to simply edit the hash in the
> ebuild and voila, it's up to date.

The media-tv/mythtv ebuild is the only one that actually uses the
VERSION and BRANCH tags.  Everything else only uses REV and SREV.  REV
is simple enough and is used to select the package for downloading.
SREV is required to set the path to the source inside the package, and
except for very rare circumstances, will be the first seven characters
of the hash.  On very rare circumstances, it will include an eighth to
prevent a collision.  Just change those two values, rename the file to
whatever you want, and digest it.  Portage will take care of the rest.