[mythtv-users] OT - Some recent Hostility toward the Developers

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 5 18:20:34 UTC 2012

On 05/01/2012 16:20, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/5/2012 10:54, Tyler T wrote:
>>> I've noticed a
>>> lot more hostility in the last several weeks (especially from users toward
>>> the developers).
>> Funny, I thought it was the other way around. You must not have read
>> any of the ARM threads. ;)
>
> Now that's just not true.  The ARM does what it was designed to do
> well.  It was just not designed for the kind of expandability a new user
> asking for hardware suggestions needs in order to "feel things out", or
> the kind of power a typical or large MythTV setup needs to handle its
> time-sensitive tasks.  For tasks where the requirements are limited, and
> well defined in advance, it's a great little chip.
>
> Now the hostility in the Atom threads....

ha ha, that made me smile :-)

There do seem to have been a lot of repeat threads that seem to be
hitting sore points - particularly about the suitability of Atom and to
some extent VDPAU / NVidia, which is related I guess.

I'd just like to add my thanks to the devs and the more knowledgable
users who help everyone out on this mailing list.  I certainly don't
know how I would live without MythTV now.

I'm looking forward to seeing what is new and exciting in the next
release and whatever it brings we should be thankful that such an
excellent piece of software is provided for free and there is this
mailing list where we can also get free support.

Healthy discussion and differing viewpoints are always interesting to
read and follow and the fact the users have an outlet to suggest new
ideas, request features and hardware support is really good. (Imagine
trying to get MSoft to add some new feature X into Windows Media centre
- where would you even send a suggestion?!)  But users need to remember
that the devs will always have the final say because it's their project
and they do all the hard work - though of course you can always become a
dev and help out :-)

Thanks again,
Robert.
(medium-time MythTV User)