[mythtv-users] vdpau filters / HD OTA antenna

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:28:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:

> However on one OTA HD channel(Channel 2) I get pixelation sometimes.
> I've tried most of the combinations of filter options from here -
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Filters
>
> >From what I've read vdpau is very sensitive to signal noise.  I've
> eliminated the cable  by bypassing the current setup and using DVI to
> another Samsung LCD display.  Problem stays.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions about vdpau filters?

I have no experience relating the use of vdpau and signal noise. My
understanding is that VDPAU is just a means of using the video card's GPU
to decode the broadcast offloading the CPU of this chore.

> The one any only station that appears to be effected is Channel 2 in
> Chicago.  Note: This is the only VHF channel left on the dial.  It was
> moved from Channel 2 to 12 after the digital conversion, but it's
> still VHF.
>
> If you only see this on one channel and that channel is the only VHF
channel, I'd say the odds are good that you do not have a strong enough
signal to pull this channel in reliably.  Again, my experience, picture
breakup on a digital signal (what you are calling pixelation) is due to
poor signal.  I'd suggest going to www.antennaweb.org for proper antenna
positioning.  Just putting in some random Chicago zipcodes, it appears that
the broadcast antennas for CBS, NBC, and ABC are all in the same location.
 If you actually have your (outdoor, I'm assuming) antenna pointed
correctly, I'd blame your antenna.  You might try to find something that
will measure your signal strength on each each channel (like the hdhomerun
utils).

The other option is to replace my current antenna Winegard 7694P with
> Winegard HD-7696P.  Has a much longer boom length and more UHF/VHF
> elements.  Guess the problem with this is I don't know if it will fix
> pixelation and the aesthetics of the unit itself.

This might be your only option.  Other thoughts: antenna mounted outside?
High enough?  Seems strange that unless you are way out on the outskirts
you'd have a problem bringing in this station.

Good luck.  -- Ken E.