[mythtv-users] Necessary to remove pulseaudio?

steve networks1 at cox.net
Tue Jan 3 15:51:49 UTC 2012

On 1/2/2012 5:20 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/2/2012 18:45, steve wrote:
>> (1) Can MythTV coexist with PA or not?  My video playback is
>> configured to use ALSA:default, but it must be using PA in some way
>> since uninstalling it broke the sound.
>
> MythTV can use PulseAudio, but the current implementation is
> restricted to 2-channel audio.  Go into the audio setup and scan for
> devices.  It will enumerate anything PulseAudio exposes, then disable
> PulseAudio, and enumerate anything on the underlying ALSA.  The best
> option is to just not fiddle with anything, and let MythTV disable
> PulseAudio during playback so it can use ALSA directly.  You can
> instead use the emulated ALSA:pulse device, or the native PulseAudio
> device, however both have been known to cause loss of A/V sync and
> other squirrely problems in the past.
>
>> (2) Could PA be the source of audio stuttering on playback?  Latest
>> description of symptoms is here *http://tinyurl.com/76s2nqs*
>> (shortened Gossamer threads url)
>
> Most of the issues related to PulseAudio were related to A/V sync, or
> the lack there of.  There are complaints of noise issues when stopping
> playback, but that is actually the result of MythTV disabling Pulse to
> use ALSA for the duration of playback.  At the end of playback when
> MythTV resumes Pulse, all that buffered noise from other applications
> comes flooding in.  I don't know off hand what would be causing
> that..mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

If MythTV disables PulseAudio, then I guess it could not be the source
of the problem, so I will not worry about it.

It's definitely not a sync problem.  It's random momentary dropouts of
the audio throughout playback (not just at the beginning or end).  The
possibilities seem to be (a) buffering problem, (b) driver problem, or
(c) disk problem.  Error messages from various apps indicate (a) but
I've been through all the possible fixes and nothing seems to help.  I
don't know how to test for (b).  It seems unlikely it's (c) because I
had the same disk hardware and partitions on an earlier version that
worked fine.  Not sure how to troubleshoot that, though.  If anyone has
suggestions how to proceed I'd love to hear them.