[mythtv-users] Necessary to remove pulseaudio?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 3 00:20:11 UTC 2012

On 1/2/2012 18:45, steve wrote:
> (1) Can MythTV coexist with PA or not?  My video playback is
> configured to use ALSA:default, but it must be using PA in some way
> since uninstalling it broke the sound.

MythTV can use PulseAudio, but the current implementation is restricted
to 2-channel audio.  Go into the audio setup and scan for devices.  It
will enumerate anything PulseAudio exposes, then disable PulseAudio, and
enumerate anything on the underlying ALSA.  The best option is to just
not fiddle with anything, and let MythTV disable PulseAudio during
playback so it can use ALSA directly.  You can instead use the emulated
ALSA:pulse device, or the native PulseAudio device, however both have
been known to cause loss of A/V sync and other squirrely problems in the
past.

> (2) Could PA be the source of audio stuttering on playback?  Latest
> description of symptoms is here *http://tinyurl.com/76s2nqs*
> (shortened Gossamer threads url)

Most of the issues related to PulseAudio were related to A/V sync, or
the lack there of.  There are complaints of noise issues when stopping
playback, but that is actually the result of MythTV disabling Pulse to
use ALSA for the duration of playback.  At the end of playback when
MythTV resumes Pulse, all that buffered noise from other applications
comes flooding in.  I don't know off hand what would be causing that.