[mythtv-users] Trimslice ARM PC

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 23:02:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 12/25/2011 20:05, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  says:
>>> There are very real limitations on such hardware in terms of
>>> performance and expansion, that makes them unsuitable for many, if
>>> not most, MythTV setups.  To an inexperienced user, they would be a
>>> bad recommendation for hardware to purchase.
>> Someone new to MythTV who is intrigued by the notion of having "a free
>> TiVo" is probably willing to spend no more than a few hundred dollars
>> to experiment. (And, no, most people--even Linux people--don't have a
>> closet full of Myth-ready hardware ready to go.) Sadly, the $200 Revos
>> are no longer sold new, but For $375 a new user can buy an Revo,
>> IdeaCentre, or another Atom-based box; USB tuner; and indoor
>> antenna.
>
> So why do you need to buy an Atom to make that happen?  $180 on Newegg
> gets you a 3GHz dual core AMD, 4GB of memory, MicroATX board, case, 300W
> power supply, and GT210 video card.  It's not going to be pretty, but
> it's cheap, powerful, relatively efficient, and has several expansion
> slots, SATA ports, and USB ports to play around with, while
> experimenting with MythTV.

Hi, I am trying to help someone on mythbuntu forums with buying
decisions, but am a little stuck on detail (I don't use newegg because
they don't ship to me, but the person I am assisting can)

Could you point me to a suitable set of components that are in line
with the $180 budget?

Sorry to be a pain.