[mythtv-users] MythTV updates, back out plan, lvm snapshots

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Feb 26 16:43:24 UTC 2012

On 2/26/2012 08:05, Brent Bolin wrote:
> Assuming core OS is all in a single lv.

Depending on how you configure your system, that's not all that
difficult.  The setup I've been running for over three years now is
several similar frontends booting off iSCSI images on a FreeBSD/ZFS
target.  I have a base image that I periodically mount on one of the
frontends and update.  All of the frontends get shut down, a new base
image is cloned for each frontend, and they all boot into their own
individual copy.  A simple init script in the base image has each
frontend rsync an overlay of configs and states from the server and
reboot.  The whole process takes maybe 4 minutes.

Since the images are stored on ZFS, which is a COW filesystem, the
clones are basically free.  Each update on the frontend might carry a
couple hundred MB for the theme cache, plus another couple hundred for
the updated packages on the base image.  While I require a custom initrd
to mount the iSCSI image, Linux thinks it's a real disk, so I don't need
any of the funky NFSboot modifications to init.  Each frontend has a
dedicated image, so there is no fiddling about with read only
filesystems, or stacked NFS shared and union filesystems.  I can boot
into any of several previous images for each frontend through the
PXELinux configs.