[mythtv-users] Shaw Motorola DCT6412 captures HD but not SD channels via FireWire

Kane Tse kane.tse at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 21:26:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
> On 25/02/12 18:39, Dave M wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a Motorola DCT6412 III box connected to Shaw Cable.
>>
>> Firewire chipset is: FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 61)
>>
>> In MythTV,  I can tune and capture all of the HD channels that I
>> subscribe to.
>>
>> However when I try to tune any SD channels, the tuning popup just says
>> "100% Signal (TL__) Partial Lock." and stays there forever.
>>
>> The cable box display shows the correct channel,  so at least the
>> channel-change part seems to be working properly.
>>
>> I have verified that 5C copy protection is not in effect-- all the
>> channels are marked "Copy Free" in the cable box's info screen.
>>
>> I've tried Point-to-Point and Broadcast mode with just about every
>> different option for "Cable Box type"  and I've had the same result with
>> every combination so far.
>>
>> I previously had a different cable box on a different provider,  on the
>> same PC and FW card,  and it worked flawlessly,   so I at least know
>> that my FW setup works.
>>
>> Does anyone have any more ideas of what to try here?   Please let me
>> know if there are any relevant logs I should post.  The frontend log
>> just showed a lot of "Waited 100ms for video buffers" messages.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.

This is a problem which has been experienced other Shaw cable users as
well.  In addition to the 5C flag, you also need to check the CCI
flag, which I am not very familiar with. See
http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1285931 for more
information, but unfortunately no resolutions.  To summarize that
thread, it appears to be a issue on Shaw cable's end, and not your
set-up.  Efforts to get the company to resolve the issue have not been
successful, essentially because firewire is not officially supported.