[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 14:21:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:
> On 12-02-23 10:13 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> Hmmm - looks like there's a trade-off between HD audio and HQ video.
>>
>> Mark,
>>
>> what is being scaled in this case? ie 720p->1080p? I wonder if
>> hqscaling is really needed for that, and if not, perhaps a profile
>> that enables it for converting SD content to HD but does not for 720p
>> to 1080p?
>
> The recordings that play back really poorly are 1920x1080i ATSC,
> where the source material has been "double letterboxed",
> and I'm having Mythtv zoom to expand the actual content portion
> to full screen ("half" setting).
>
> But even some straight 1920x1080i without zoom is stuttering.
> MMMmm.. that is probably due to having Mythtv expand the image by 1 pixel
> all around to eliminate the "data line" that otherwise flickers at the
> top of the image.
>
> So I've modified the playback profiles to not use "vdpauhqscaling"
> on files larger than 1280 (horizontal), and playback is acceptable again.
> Too bad one cannot (easily) qualify that to apply only on _interlaced_ content
> though, because for non-interlaced there's plenty of leftover horsepower.
>
> My Atom-2 machines also cannot use vdpauhqscaling for HD files,
> but I didn't really expect that from a full 16X PCIe GT430 card.
>
> It's a crying shame that Nvidia cripples the Fermi processors so much
> (artificially in the drivers, to prevent use of cheap "consumer" hardware
> in what are intended to be high-end expensive systems etc..).

yea, I've come to terms with the fact that to get both good video and
be able to bit stream the HD audio codecs I'll need to spend a lot of
money on one of the faster Fermi cards. Luckily my current receiver
can't do TrueHD/etc so not an issue for me yet. My parents system
though, they can, so if we decide to tackle BluRay playback we'll have
to do that.

on my Atom machines I too have it only do HQscaling for 480i content.
I haven't found a need to scale 720p or 1080i as the scaler in my
plasma does as good if not better a job than the card, and all my
other tv's are too small for it to make a difference. for 480i content
though, it's a nice and noticeable difference.

I haven't had an issue with the 1pixel data line (ie I have never seen it?)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!