[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Feb 24 03:45:51 UTC 2012

On 12-02-23 10:13 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Time for a followup:
>>>
>>> The GT430 card does indeed run into difficulties (jerky playback)
>>> when "vdpauhqscaling" is enabled and a high-resolution interlaced file
>>> is being played (and scaled).
>>>
>>> The older GT240 card did not have any issues with that, but the GT430 does.
>>>

>> Hmmm - looks like there's a trade-off between HD audio and HQ video.
>
> Mark,
>
> what is being scaled in this case? ie 720p->1080p? I wonder if
> hqscaling is really needed for that, and if not, perhaps a profile
> that enables it for converting SD content to HD but does not for 720p
> to 1080p?

The recordings that play back really poorly are 1920x1080i ATSC,
where the source material has been "double letterboxed",
and I'm having Mythtv zoom to expand the actual content portion
to full screen ("half" setting).

But even some straight 1920x1080i without zoom is stuttering.
MMMmm.. that is probably due to having Mythtv expand the image by 1 pixel
all around to eliminate the "data line" that otherwise flickers at the
top of the image.

So I've modified the playback profiles to not use "vdpauhqscaling"
on files larger than 1280 (horizontal), and playback is acceptable again.
Too bad one cannot (easily) qualify that to apply only on _interlaced_ content
though, because for non-interlaced there's plenty of leftover horsepower.

My Atom-2 machines also cannot use vdpauhqscaling for HD files,
but I didn't really expect that from a full 16X PCIe GT430 card.

It's a crying shame that Nvidia cripples the Fermi processors so much
(artificially in the drivers, to prevent use of cheap "consumer" hardware
in what are intended to be high-end expensive systems etc..).