[mythtv-users] missing tv schedules

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 06:55:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM,  <jameskel at comcast.net> wrote:
> The logic here is just silly and it's a slap in the face to all those who devote their time to open source. For a $100 I can have Windows OS and Windows Media Center (and I do. I run two concurent media servers for redundancy). Why are all of you devoting so much time to MythTV? It's only a $100.

So I guess we like to slap ourselves in the face?  Whatever.

First off, your facts are off-whack.  Windows OS + WMC is not $100.  I
haven't seen a Windows OS *alone* for as low as $100 *legally* in many
years...

Secondly, we devote so much time to MythTV as we devote it to open
source.  That is our choice, and for many of us, our passion.  That
said, MythTV requires fairly expensive equipment to run properly, and
as Michael indicated, $25/year is nothing in comparison to the
hardware costs.  Especially to get good data and never have to worry
about twiddling it like you are trying to do.

> In addition, how about some help delving into the SQL database tables so that I can confirm that there isn't a problem with them.

Not going to happen.  We actively discourage MythTV users from messing
in the database as they invariably bugger it up and it takes many
hours of handholding to fix their damage (if it can even be fixed,
depending on what they do).

> Someone pointed out that the cable company or the broadcaster may not be transmitting EIT for this station. How can I confirm this? (i'll look into dvbsnoop. is there anything else?)

If it's over-the-air, you can also hook up one of those cheap boxes
that were so prevalent during the switchover.  If it shows you show
titles on a channel, it has EIT.  For cable, dunno, don't care :)  I
personally use DirecTV, and get my data feed from Schedules Direct.

> Also worth noting is that the BE provides several methods for getting tv schedules (datadirect, directv, EIT), all three currently fail to fill in or replace the existing TV schedules. Why don't they work?

There is no DirecTV TV schedule grabber methodology that I've heard of.

> Lastly, if you all are saying that this isn't important, then fine. The DEV team should rip out all of these options. But they spent time inserting them and as of v0.25 they haven't decided to yank them out.

Whatever.  Your input has been noted...