[mythtv-users] alsa 1.0.24, 0.24.2-fixes, ubuntu lucid, hdmi audio, AC3/DTS not working

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 04:31:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 21 February 2012 14:21, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I ran the echo line and it "took", now when I play I see this, but I
>> can't figure out why it is forcing a downmix from 6 to 2 channel?
>
> this is different to your previous run, where the device was opened
> for 6 channels PCM..
>
> In this one, it is downmixing as stereo, the only possibility is that
> you've set your speaker configuration as stereo
> This can happen if you went through the device list and went over one
> only supporting stereo, it would have changed your displayed settings
> and you didn't notice and saved.

arggh,

ok, for some reason internal volume control became enabled ("reenc 1")
with the PCM audio volume set to 0 (I've never had this enabled or
changed the volumes), which was forcing myth to reencode the ac3 and I
think that is what was causing the receiver to not be able to
recognize the other channels for whatever reason, even when it said it
was sending 6ch ac3.

once I noticed that (I normally just keep hitting next and don't look
at it) and disabled it, it worked right away for everything
(recordings, videos, and mythmusic including 24bit 88.2Khz music).

i guess there's some odd code in there that resets the output channels
and this internal volume control without the user doing it, hopefully
that's fixed for 0.25

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!