[mythtv-users] missing tv schedules

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 20 23:06:09 UTC 2012

On 02/19/2012 08:06 PM, jameskel wrote:
> I am using one multiplexed channel which contains 11 tv stations.
>
> In FE (watching tv), tv schedules for 9 stations appear but 2 don't.
> In BE (Video Sources), I am using Listings Grabber: "Transmitted Guide Only (EIT)"
> Channel Frequency Table: us-cable
>
> How can I drill into this problem to understand why this is happening?
>
> How can I determine if the station is broadcasting EIT or not?
>

> PS - I've already asked for help with this issue in ubuntuforums/mythbuntu - no joy

You could buy a membership to Schedules Direct for $25/yr (=
~$0.07/day), support the Free/Libre Open Source Software community,
and--in so doing--get free, high-quality listings that will make MythTV
far more useful than US EIT--especially since cable companies have no
incentive to provide EIT data (in fact, their incentive is to not
provide such data to make it more likely that you'll use their
equipment), so many do not provide it for any channels they are not
required to provide it with (and, TTBOMK, if they have to provide any
EIT data at all, it's only for the local TV channels that you would be
able to receive OTA with an antenna).

If you want things like duplicate matching and series recording and such
to work, reliably, you will need high-quality listings data.  The
listings data you get for free with a Schedules Direct membership is the
same data that TiVo users pay ~$15/mo to receive.  And, IME, it's some
of the best listings data available to MythTV users anywhere in the
entire world.

Note that MythTV is Free software.  A MythTV system, however, is an
expensive luxury DVR solution.  When you look at the cost of buying
hardware; the time you spend installing, configuring, maintaining,
learning, and keeping up with changes to MythTV; and the cost of
replacing hardware, such as failed HDDs (versus just calling the cable
company and having them replace the DVR they're providing for $10/mo),
MythTV is not at all free.  The $25/yr I spend on my Schedules Direct
membership is a negligible fraction of the money I've spent on my MythTV
system (which isn't all that impressive compared to many on the
list--especially considering none of my frontend or backend systems have
cost me more than $250).  The benefits of spending that $25/yr
(including supporting the F/LOSS community as well as getting those free
listings) make me happy to spend that money.

If you want to spend many hours of your free time to try to save $25/yr,
feel free to do so (just how much is your free time worth to you,
anyway?).  Just search for dvbsnoop and all the information about how to
use it--and the EIT standards and requirements, as well as US and local
requirements, to figure out just what to expect--and start
investigating.  Note, though, that there's unlikely to be any "quick
information" or "quick solutions" to your problem--as most MythTV users
in the US have chosen to become Schedules Direct members, so that they
may support the F/LOSS community and get the free, high-quality listings
data available to members.  Not to mention the fact that what data is
available on the channels your local cable company re-broadcasts is up
to your local cable company, so it's quite likely no one in your local
area has done any real research into the availability of EIT on your
re-broadcast-by-your-cable-company channels.  (Where, again, the cable
company is best served not providing EIT data, but using a proprietary
listings data stream that's accessible by cable-company-provided
equipment--their STBs--only.)

Mike, a proud member of Schedules Direct, and supporter of F/LOSS
software development