[mythtv-users] Recordings working, sound ok on mplayer but not on mythfrontend

David Sims simsdw56 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 18 19:02:20 UTC 2012

I am making progress slowly but surely on my mythtv setup…

Still several issues to get resolved but I am ecstatic about scheduling a recording and it actually working.

Using HVR950Q usb tuner and capturing the Over-The-Air Digital Broadcasts.

I can use mplayer to playback this recording and the sound is ok.

However I seem to be having a disconnect with the sound on my mythfrontend.

Video plays fine.  No Sound on the frontend.  Frontend and Backend are the same computer.

Previously I had searched for sound devices on the mythfrontend and found several.

Right now I have these choices:

ALSA:default:CARD-Intel

ALSA:dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

ALSA:dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=1

ALSA:front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

ALSA:hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

ALSA:hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1

ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel:DEV=0

ALSA:plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

ALSA:plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1

ALSA:surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

ALSA:surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

ALSA:surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0

NULL

The choice I made was “ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel:DEV=0” per previous conversations…

My distro is:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Release:        11.10

Codename:       oneiric

Here is a quick snapshot of some of the dmesg log lines for this tuner device if this will help:

[   17.103865] xc5000: Successfully identified at address 0x61

[   17.103868] xc5000: Firmware has not been loaded previously

[   17.103872] DVB: registering new adapter (au0828)

[   17.103875] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Auvitek AU8522 QAM/8VSB Frontend)...

[   17.108320] Registered device AU0828 [Hauppauge HVR950Q]

[   17.108412] usbcore: registered new interface driver au0828

[   17.278375] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

Which choice would be the correct one?  I am not sure about it.

(I am also not sure why I have DEV=0 and DEV=1 on several of the selections.)

What additional information can I provide to isolate this particular issue?

Thank you in advance for the assistance on this…

David Sims

simsdw56 at comcast.net