[mythtv-users] Tuner Card

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Feb 12 15:10:50 UTC 2012

On 02/11/2012 10:54 AM, M D wrote:
>> I'm new to this. I've got Mythbuntu running on a machine. I need a
>> tuner card. I'm going to be connecting antenna TV. In the future, I
>> might go back to satellite TV. I'd like to be able to watch one
>> program while I record another or record two programs at one time.
>
>> I've looked at the Mythbuntu install, but am not clear on what my
>> choice of cards is. Anyone have suggestions on cards?
>
> Myth can work with many cards, try looking at
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1 including the
> links.  You likely need at least a dual tuner or 2 or more single
> tuners to do what you want.
>
> You don't indicate where you are if you are somewhere in North America
> also take a look at http://digitalhome.ca or specifically
> http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42094

There is a good listing in the Myth wiki at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_Cards

Note the right-hand column. The cost increase for a second contained
tuner is always small and the benefit is great.

The best units (by anecdotal responses on this list) are the Silicon
Dust HDHomeRun and the Hauppauge 2250 *for your situation*. These are
ATSC only units: no cable decryption, no analog (and no IR). Both have
been around for a couple of years and updated as required. The HDHomeRun
is network attached, the Hauppauge is an internal PCI card.

Physically the easiest to use is the HDHomeRun. Plug in the antenna, the
power wart and a network cable. Do all remaining setup from your console
(set router, do mythtv-setup). The Hauppauge is not that much harder
*but you do need a screwdriver*!  ;-)

Geoff

The thread at digitalhome is very old (2006!). Cable has changed since
then. Rogers Cable changed to all-encrypted QAM at the end of June 2007.