[mythtv-users] Communication between front & back end - New install

Jesse jesseflint63 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 01:55:03 UTC 2012

Any suggestions?

> "Can't communicate to server check IP address" is a little obscure. Is
> the mysqld server running? Do 'ps -ae | grep mysqld' in a console.
>
> The 'check IP address' error sounds like myth is not able to talk to the
> mysql server.
>
> Check the mysql.txt and config.xml files in your home folder. They
> *MUST* contain the correct data. Use your computer's IP address for
> 'DBHostname'.
>
> Note that if your router is serving out DHCP addresses, this will not
> work, as your IP address can change on each boot. Set up your computer
> with a static address and set your router to use the computer's MAC
> address to choose the IP to send. (Sometimes called 'Static DHCP' in the
> router's setup pages.)

Thanks for your reply,

I don't think it is the IP address either. If I was given a more
accurate error message it would make it quicker to diagnose.

If it is an error in the mysql it doesn't seem logical... since MythTv
was set up on a new partition and from a DVD. It maybe that a setup
program is needed for the backend server to catch errors or faulty
calls. Maybe there should be a program to grab the file data and review it.

I don't know how to set my computer to a static address or even check
it, but don't think there is a router involved since this is a single
machine involved.

I do appreciate your reply and will post what happens after I reinstall it.

Going to try it on Linux Mint and downloading it from the MythTv site
directly.