[mythtv-users] Communication between front & back end - New install

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Feb 5 22:44:40 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 06:37 AM, Jesse wrote:

> Same results...  can't communicate to server check IP address. the
> newness is wearing off. I was fairly excited anticipating being able to
> use the computer to record TV. (Don't use cable just over the air
> broadcast.)
>
> This is a single computer install.
>
> Any suggestions?

"Can't communicate to server check IP address" is a little obscure. Is
the mysqld server running? Do 'ps -ae | grep mysqld' in a console.

The 'check IP address' error sounds like myth is not able to talk to the
mysql server.

Check the mysql.txt and config.xml files in your home folder. They
*MUST* contain the correct data. Use your computer's IP address for
'DBHostname'.

Note that if your router is serving out DHCP addresses, this will not
work, as your IP address can change on each boot. Set up your computer
with a static address and set your router to use the computer's MAC
address to choose the IP to send. (Sometimes called 'Static DHCP' in the
router's setup pages.)

Geoff