[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sun Feb 5 02:24:09 UTC 2012

On 12-02-04 01:27 AM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Jeff Artz <jeffa.myth at gmail.com
> <mailto:jeffa.myth at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have a 32" Samsung LCD (Model LN32C350D1DXZA) in my bedroom.  It's a
>     '720p' set with a native resolution of 1366x768 (or 1360? I dunno...)
>
>     Anyways, on one HDMI port, it will only accept HD resolutions, and overscans
>     them. [Blah]
>
>     On the other HDMI port, it accepts the native resolution of 1366x768 and
>     does NOT overscan.  So I have my MythTV frontend connected to that HDMI port
>     and a resolution of 1366x768.
>
>     There is no setting on my TV to override the Overscan 'feature'...
>
> I recently purchased a 40" Samsung LCD TV and connect to it with one of its HDMI
> inputs.  There was overscan, but I was able to compensate for it with the
> nvidia-settings program.  Is this not an option for you?

That's a low-quality solution for when no alternatives exist.
In this case, you've got a recently made Samsung TV,
so there really should be an option in the menus (somewhere)
to "Fit screen" or "just scan" or whatever to give higher quality
without overscan.

Every Samsung TV I've played with from the past 3 years has such options.
Maybe not all do, my even my own 40" from 2010 has it.

Cheers