[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 4 19:30:01 UTC 2012

Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote on Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 07:03:03PM +0100:
> 2012/2/4 Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com>:
> > Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote on Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 11:01:00AM +0100:

> >> You shouldn't do anything to compensate for the so called "overscan".
> >> Like Simon wrote, it's a very suboptimal solution. If you get
> >> "overscan" it's most likely because your graphics card is using a
> >> resolution unsupported by your TV. Configure a proper modeline for
> >> Xorg, select the setting "Fit to screen" (or something near that) on
> >> the TV and set the sharpness filter to 0 on the TV. That should give
> >> you proper 1:1 pixelmapping. If you use some other approach by
> >> scaling, cutting or whatever, you'll be lowering the quality of the
> >> picture.
> >
> > Kenni, I think the point is that some TVs don't have the "Fit to
> > Screen" option, otherwise known as "1:1", "Just Scan", etc.
>
> Sure, but my reply was specific for Samsung as Kenneth had a 40"
> Samsung TV according to his post.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were commenting on that specific poster's
situation. I thought you were making general observations about
overscan. Based on some of your comments in this thread, I got the
impression you didn't think overscan was an issue anymore, so I wanted
to give a concrete example where it was.