[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend can't ping database host

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 05:20:13 UTC 2012

On Dec 27, 2012 6:15 AM, "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 26/12/12 16:04, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Mike Perkins
>> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

Try

>>> pinging a hostname. After all, /someone/ has to resolve that hostname
into
>>> an IP address for the ping to work at all!
>>>
>>> The resolving can be done either (or both) of two ways: You either have
an
>>> /etc/hosts file in the machine that needs to do the resolving or
someone on
>>> your internal network has a DNS resolver. This last is usually your
router
>>> or firewall. If you are all on the same box (a combined BE/FE) then a
hosts
>>> file is usually enough.
>>>
>>> 192.168.1.101 is either: powered off, disconnected from the network, bad
>>> cable, bad network configuration so that it's not listening, not mapped
>>> (see above) or firewalled. Pick one.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> It is on the same machine I am trying to do the ping from.  I can
regularly
>> ping the machine (and can do that from another machine in the network).
>> could see a firewall issue, but don't think I have any firewall set up on
>> the machine (aside from the NAT router it is behind).  I am  also able to
>> do this, so don't understand why myth is having difficulty:
>> [root at localhost mythtv]# mysqladmin ping -h 192.168.1.101 -u mythtv -p
>> Enter password:
>> mysqld is alive
>>
> That's not a ping, that's a mysql function. And what mysql can do from
the command line bears little resemblance to what mythtv requires in its
database.

> It looks like you have mysql connectivity from outside the box, so that
(should) rule out a mysql configuration issue.

> You'll need to run mythv-setup to determine exactly why the myth backend
doesn't respond. The first page of 'General' (IIRC) should have
192.168.1.101 in both address locations for a master back end. If that is
the case I'd start looking for an on-board firewall or filter. Also,
finding and checking all instances of "mysql.txt" (which has nothing to do
with mysql)

Actually it has everything to do with mysql. It is the details myth needs
in order to log in to mysql, which it has to do pretty well as soon as it
starts.