[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend can't ping database host

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 07:17:41 UTC 2012

On 12/26/2012 11:20 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> Actually it has everything to do with mysql. It is the details myth needs
> in order to log in to mysql, which it has to do pretty well as soon as it
> starts.

Hi;

Sorry, it's not an issue with the database.

The diagnostic Gabe posted originally, comes from a simple ping
to the box that hosts the database. See:

     http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/libmyth/mythcontext.cpp#n630

His error message prints below at line 682. I guessing he's running
on 0.25 since he references mysql.txt. Not so subtle hint to everyone
that it's nice to mention the version you're running on.

The test of the connection to the database happens on line 693. He also
stated that without the ping, the frontend works.

That's why I suggested running the frontend with -v system --loglevel debug.
It will print what happens when ping() runs the system call. He's already
said he can ping the machine both from itself, and from a remote host.

So, if the command line ping works, then we need to see what's actually in
the command being executed.

As to why the ping is even being done at all, I believe it's because
DBHostName=192.168.1.101, rather than 127.0.0.1, localhost or the
value returned by the hostname command. Any one of the three would
prevent the ping.

--
Bill