[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Wed Dec 5 05:38:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> says:
> > I agree that it's inconvenient sometimes to move over to the "Series
> > List" to access that menu
>
> Both menus are always available in Watch Recordings no matter which
> one appears first depending on the context. Push MENU again.

Yeah. I know. I still want it put back where it made semantic sense, though!

> > I access the recording Info screen much more often than I access the
> > Group Menu. We all have our different usage patterns.
>
> Same here. (Especially since the alternative way of seeing the
> information is buried in MENU|Recording Options|Show Recording
> Details.)

Silly question, but possibly revealing: Why? Is it just for the filename?

> More to the point, such usage is consistent with how INFO
> acts during playback, showing more information about the recording.

This point I can't really argue against, but I don't see it as a problem.
Just make it two separate key bindings ("Show Context Menu" and "Show OSD")
and let me overload them onto the same key. There's no OSD in the menus,
and there's no context menu in playback, so there's no conflict (unless you
insist that it's not "Show OSD" but "Show Recording Information", which I
continue to argue is less useful than having a menu system that makes
semantic sense!)

- Chris