[mythtv-users] Prime w/ CC + HDHR QAM adding channels

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Aug 31 06:12:21 UTC 2012

> > Have you looked at scte65scan ?
>> >
>> > It will scan using the HDHR.
>>
>> btw, to compile scte65scan with recent silicondust
>> library sources, you will need to apply some patches
>> to the scte65scan Makefile that I posted to the
>> silicondust forums when someone else tried to build
>> scte65scan and asked for assistance there.  The
>> patches have been provided upstream, but I do not
>> think they have gotten integrated yet.  Search the
>> silicondust forum for scte65scan.
>>

> I have looked at it, and tried it in the past with mixed results.  While I
> believe I could use it to some degree, again it seems more complicated than
> I need.
>
> Essentially, I could probably just use a bash script and the HDHR Config
> program.. just start tuning channels and recording the physical channel and
> multiplex of each unencrypted channel.  Then, perform DB queries against
> the channel table to update the channel number and xmlid where the channel
> and multiplex match.
>
> Maybe I'll take some time this weekend to test my bash script-fu.

So it's been a couple of weeks, but I finally got around to writing the
script that I had envisioned.  The script actually tunes each defined
channel on the Prime, determines the QAM channel number and program
(multiplex), and searches the channel table for a corresponding HDHR
channel.  If it finds it, it simply copies all the channel "metadata" from
the Prime channel.

It works really well for first time setup of a QAM HDHR when you have a
working Prime in place.  Additionally it can be used to keep your channels
up to date; though you may need to run a scan first to pick up any changes
to the available clear QAM channel list.

I went ahead and posted it on the Wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Prime2qam  I would love to get some feedback.

Please note, this is my first ever attempt to write something in Python.
 (It certainly will not be my last... what a great language!) Please feel
free to critique my style and approach, I typically learn by doing, and if
not corrected early on I'm likely to develop bad habits.

There is a "preview" option if you wish to test the script without actually
writing the changes to your DB.  It simply outputs the SQL that it would
use to update the table instead of making the change.