[mythtv-users] Netbook as low-power combined back-end / front-end?

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:55:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Terjesen Jens Peder
<Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com> wrote:

> To me that looks like a less than optimal setup for a UPS.
>
> I have a small UPS with only about 10 - 15 minutes of runtime that works perfectly well for my combined BE/FE.
>
> It is configured to signal the computer to turn off 30 seconds after power loss.
> This prevents short power dips from shutting down the computer.
>
> My BE/FE uses about 30 seconds to shut down, so the UPS is also configured to shut off the power 60 seconds after signaling the computer to shut down.
>
> The BIOS is set to start the computer at return of power.
>
> So short power dips does not influence the BE/FE at all.
> Longer power outages leads to a controlled shutdown, and automatic startup of the BE/FE when power returns.
> This setup also prevents deep discharge of the UPS battery.
>
> I also have one lamp connected to the UPS which gives me 90 seconds emergency light, enough to go fetch a torch.
>
> Jens

Thanks for the detail - that sounds like a great setup, and if I ever
get a UPS again, I will keep this in mind and try to set up something
similar.

With my old setup though, I had a few additional constraints:  we kept
the wireless router, cable modem, and cable TV box on the UPS as well.

The cable TV box was on the UPS because any time the power glitched,
it would forget its settings and lose the guide data as well - and it
could take 20+ minutes to fully recover once power was re-applied.  So
that was on the UPS to keep it from losing its memory.

The cable modem and wifi router were on the UPS so that we could keep
using the internet on our laptops during the longer power outages.
So once the MythTV box shut down, the cable modem and router would
actually run for a pretty long time (30+ minutes?) without issue.

- rsh1k