[mythtv-users] Netbook as low-power combined back-end / front-end?

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Aug 30 07:07:02 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
On: 28. august 2012 8:07 rsh1k wrote:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Lastly, what sort of climate are you in ? Or more importantly, what
> sort of temperatures does your UPS live in ? The VRLA (Vale Regulated
> Lead Acid) batteries they use really don't like heat and despite
> what's claimed about them they will dry out. If the batteries are
> still running, it may be worth prising the cover off to get at the
> rubber caps on the cells, and putting a tiny amount of distilled water
> in - only a couple of ml, a small syringe is good for that - to rehydrate them and see if they improve.
>
> --
> Simon Hobson

I was out in the Northwest USA at that point, so I doubt it was heat
or cold that killed it.   I didn't check the battery acid levels, but
to be honest, I wasn't particularly thrilled with it even when it was
new.   I bought it (a mid-grade APC unit) because our building had a
lot of small power fluctuations... 1/2 second brownouts, that sort of
thing.   About once every week and a half, I would come home from work
to find the computer off.   With the UPS, the computer would receive a
signal via USB when the battery level was low, and do a controlled shutdown, preventing any issues with filesystem or database corruption.  It seemed like a good setup.

But in practice, it ended up being rather annoying.  At best, when new, it had about 15 minutes of runtime and would continue on with only a brief warning squeal to indicate that the power had been
interrupted.   But once the batteries started to weaken, it would
trip, estimate that it had <5 minutes of runtime left, and signal the computer to turn off almost immediately.  So even those short power
dips would end up turning the computer off completely.   I started
coming home from work and finding the computer off more often than
before.   Even turning on a hair dryer in the bathroom would turn off
the TV!

I thought about getting new batteries, and I thought about upgrading to a bigger UPS.  But in the end, I didn't want to spend hundreds of $$$ and have a massive UPS that was twice the size of my computer, all
sitting on display in the living room.   I got rid of that UPS when I
moved...

- rsh1k