[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Thu Aug 23 13:55:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:52 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM,  <mikkel at broerne.dk> wrote:
>>

>> On 23-08-2012 11:10, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM,  <mikkel at broerne.dk> wrote:
>>
>> I thought I would through in my thoughts and the reason why I chose Mythtv.
>> Reasons for me choosing Mythtv: 1) I live in Denmark and have only access to
>> SAT-TV and had a sat-box with buildt in DVR... so a combo of live tv and
>> DVR. 2) I could not watch my shows at the same time as the kids or wife and
>> the other way around. Open war when I wanted to watch sports. 3) I did not
>> want to install full coax cable throughout the house and have sat boxes all
>> over the place. I had gigabit network and wifi. 4) I love the stability and
>> simplicity of linux 5) I am no fan of Microsoft or Apple and fully support
>> open source
>>
>> Same for me to all the above ('cept I don't have gigE, but 100 is fine).
>>
>> But I HAVE trained the family off live tv. The kids often used to ask
>> "Can you set up X to record, it's on Thursdays on Prime" - once I did
>> it a few times they learned how to do it and now they do it
>> themselves.
>>
>> I really have worked hard on the "don't watch crap just cos it is on,
>> watch something you like, something we have recorded".
>>
>> Mind you I was never a channel surfer, always preferred to watch a
>> whole show, or if I didn't know there was something on I wanted to
>> watch, do something else. Read a book, go to the pub, go to the art
>> gallery, visit a friend. I also have a rule against changing the music
>> half way through a song, at worst you fade it out, otherwise change
>> the music in a quiet bit!
>>
>> While I have never had to ban liveTV to change habits, it might be
>> worth banning yourself from it for a week or two and see how it goes
>> :)
>>
>> Why is Live-TV essential for for my family 1) bad TV habits - and I say bad
>> because life is too short to spend on ½ a show or mindless reality junk, but
>> then again so is eating at McD's compared to cooking a meal from scratch. I
>> do both so shoot me. 2) Recording everything would call for better
>> organization of the recording i.e. moving movies to MythVideo - Mike you
>> support mythvidexport.py, but I tried and it does not work, which is do to
>> my EPG not being in English (see thread on this topic.) And by the way Mike
>> thanks for the help - you were spot on. 3) WAF 4) The “thrill” of watching
>> sports live is completely removed by watching a recording even a 10 minute
>> delay sucks in my book. I wish I could do some programming at the level all
>> the dev's can. This way I could help improve the organization of recordings.
>> Sadly, as it is now, we have a hard time sifting through all our movies and
>> favorite shows. I cannot imagine also recording stuff that I might like and
>> all the junk my wife and kids watch :-D Currently I am stuck on .24 and
>> based on the dialog in this thread I will be for some time.

> [...]

Regarding moving recorded movies to videos, would it not be better to
have mythtv recordings show only TV shows from both videos and
recordings storage group and have mythvideo show only movies from both
recordings and storage groups? So it you rip a box set of a TV show it
still shows up in recordings and if you record a movie it shows up in
videos without any work from the enduser. We could have discussions
about auto-expiration, but I think that is just a matter of using an
algorithm that suits you.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos