[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:52:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM,  <mikkel at broerne.dk> wrote:

> [...]
> the other way around. Open war when I wanted to watch sports. 3) I did not
> want to install full coax cable throughout the house and have sat boxes all
> over the place. I had gigabit network and wifi. 4) I love the stability and
> simplicity of linux 5) I am no fan of Microsoft or Apple and fully support
> open source
>
> Same for me to all the above ('cept I don't have gigE, but 100 is fine).
>
> But I HAVE trained the family off live tv. The kids often used to ask
> "Can you set up X to record, it's on Thursdays on Prime" - once I did
> it a few times they learned how to do it and now they do it
> themselves.
>
> I really have worked hard on the "don't watch crap just cos it is on,
> watch something you like, something we have recorded".
>
> Mind you I was never a channel surfer, always preferred to watch a
> whole show, or if I didn't know there was something on I wanted to
> watch, do something else. Read a book, go to the pub, go to the art
> gallery, visit a friend. I also have a rule against changing the music
> half way through a song, at worst you fade it out, otherwise change
> the music in a quiet bit!
>
> While I have never had to ban liveTV to change habits, it might be
> worth banning yourself from it for a week or two and see how it goes
> :)
>
> Why is Live-TV essential for for my family 1) bad TV habits - and I say bad
> because life is too short to spend on ½ a show or mindless reality junk, but
> then again so is eating at McD's compared to cooking a meal from scratch. I
> do both so shoot me. 2) Recording everything would call for better
> organization of the recording i.e. moving movies to MythVideo - Mike you
> support mythvidexport.py, but I tried and it does not work, which is do to
> my EPG not being in English (see thread on this topic.) And by the way Mike
> thanks for the help - you were spot on. 3) WAF 4) The “thrill” of watching
> sports live is completely removed by watching a recording even a 10 minute
> delay sucks in my book. I wish I could do some programming at the level all
> the dev's can. This way I could help improve the organization of recordings.
> Sadly, as it is now, we have a hard time sifting through all our movies and
> favorite shows. I cannot imagine also recording stuff that I might like and
> all the junk my wife and kids watch :-D Currently I am stuck on .24 and
> based on the dialog in this thread I will be for some time.
>

> My day-to-day work can be summed up to Change Management. So I will always
> argue to try a change, but it can not be forced without a risk of it blowing
> up in your face.
>
> As I tried to write, we record everything of interest - only exception is
> sports.
>
> We have used it for 1½ year and recorded close to 750 shows
>
> The kids do record, but don't always watch it - there is too much

Yep, especially so if your kids programmes are generally quite short,
there are a lot of 15 minute kids cartoons, you end up with an awful
lot of show names.

> As I see it there is a general need for 1) stable LiveTV + 2) improved
> interface/organization for recording i.e. moving recordings to Video which
> is a superb idea, but the method I tried does not work.

Agreed on both counts.

> What I want to do is
>
> 1) always (job queue) move all movies to Video -> does not work
>
> 2) have a general rule that records new shows all the time on our most
> favorite channels (and delete within 24 hours) Allowing users to "time
> travel" -> the interface is not that good for this purpose.
>
> In general I guess the GUI/OSD is why many users use xbmc as a "frontend"??

Yes there is a lot to like about XBMC! There is a lot to like about
myth. Take the best out of both and we'd be there....