[mythtv-users] Segfault on starting playback

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:33:13 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I'm seeing a problem where mythfrontend sometimes crashes when
starting to playback a recording.  This has started happening after
upgrading from ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 and 0.25 to 0.26beta.  ( I should
not have done two things at once I think!)

The problem seems to affect some recordings more than others in that
some recordings always playback ok, others will playback if they are
the first recording watched after starting mythfrontend but not if a
recording has already been watched though I've not been enable to
establish if there is a pattern.

I've had various theories that I haven't managed to prove hat it was related
-to starting playback while a preview was being generated for the
recording that has just been watched
-to recordings made while the installation had the left over 0.25 libraries
-to recordings made prior to the 0.25>0.26beta upgrade

My recordings are either from DVB-T or DVB-S (Freeview and Freesat in
the UK) and a mixture of SD and HD.  I have opened a ticket
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11010 and then thought the problem
was resolved after clearing out left over 0.25 libs but that was not
the case.

There is also a bug report in launchpad with more logs/stacktrace.

I've removed all of myth (except the database) checked for anything
left over and reinstalled with no change.

Any suggestions what I can look at?  I am guessing that this is really
a configuration/installation problem as no one else seems to be having
these issues.

Thanks
Stephen