[mythtv-users] help moving recordings to video

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:58:22 UTC 2012

On 17 August 2012 17:34, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings.  You can't specify
> sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
> allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
> only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
> ...).  You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime, rating...
>  You /only/ get recording groups.  You only get one recording group per
> recording.  You can choose to show in the left column All Programs, titles,
> recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show titles, you have a ton
> to scroll through when your collection gets large.  If you use recording
> groups like you said, displaying recording groups in the left means you'll
> have a ton to scroll through.  It's /much/ more clumsy than Video
> Library--because Video Library was designed for working with a large
> collection (er, library?) of videos; whereas Watch Recordings was designed
> for working with a smaller set of "what was recently recorded."
>
> Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video.  If you
> haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion off old
> versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.
>
> Mike

Some useful info in this thread, thanks.

On the topic of moving videos to mythvideo, I posted a while ago with maybe
a slightly non-standard case:

   - To move a recording to mythvideo with ads removed (transcoded, rather
   than just with a cut list)
   - To have the resulting file saved to a custom directory, rather than
   the default recordings directory

Is there a way of doing this?  I posted the script I was trying in the
other thread, which I had no joy with.  Not had much chance to look again
since I last posted, so will have another look this weekend, just moved
house, so a bit all over the place at the moment!!

Cheers

Martin