[mythtv-users] help moving recordings to video

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 17 16:34:06 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 12:12 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:11:06AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 08/17/2012 10:29 AM, mikkel wrote:
>>> So, you support the use of mythvidexport.py?
>>>
>> Yes. Very much so.  Raymond Wagner did a great job making that
>> script, which is extremely useful.
>>
>> And the use of Video Library for anything other than short-term
>> storage of shows to be watched&  deleted from Watch
>> Recordings--since it has a much better UI for managing a lot of
>> video (as you saw, scrolling through lots of recordings and finding
>> what you want to watch is challenging in Watch Recordings).
>      You can set up Watch Recordings so it's very much like the sort
> of layout you would see in mythvideo. I have recording groups set up
> for each of my recording rules and just display recordings based on
> that.

You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings.  You can't specify
sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
...).  You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime,
rating...  You /only/ get recording groups.  You only get one recording
group per recording.  You can choose to show in the left column All
Programs, titles, recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show
titles, you have a ton to scroll through when your collection gets
large.  If you use recording groups like you said, displaying recording
groups in the left means you'll have a ton to scroll through.  It's
/much/ more clumsy than Video Library--because Video Library was
designed for working with a large collection (er, library?) of videos;
whereas Watch Recordings was designed for working with a smaller set of
"what was recently recorded."

Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video.  If
you haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion
off old versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.

Mike