[mythtv-users] Disk space for frontend-only machine

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Fri Aug 17 02:29:51 UTC 2012

On 17/08/2012 11:49 AM, Leigh Anthony wrote:
> You don't happen to have a record of how you set up the iscsi?  The iscsi backend is easy enough, but I think I need to get PXE to boot gPXE which works with iscsi.
>
> I'm currently netbooting the cd image (pxe + nfs) but its read-only and a real pain having to reset the timezone and volume every time (FE is a laptop) - it lowers the WAF considerably.
>
> Or does anyone know how to add mythfrontend to LTSP fat client?
>
> Leigh

Easiest way I found was to use PXE to chainload gPXE using
isc-dhcp-server, there are many other options though, see
http://etherboot.org/wiki/pxechaining You can get a gpxe image from
http://rom-o-matic.net/gpxe/gpxe-1.0.1/contrib/rom-o-matic/

Recent uBuntu Server is able to install OS directly to iSCSI disk using
the standard install program, then its simply a matter of installing
mythbuntu-desktop and mythtv-frontend and its ready for MythTV

Section from my dhcpd.conf looks like:

         host tv01 {
                 hardware ethernet 00:0f:ea:e0:09:c5;
                 fixed-address 192.168.0.241;
                 filename "pxelinux.0";
                 next-server 192.168.0.230;
                 option host-name tv01;
                 ddns-hostname "tv01";
                 if exists user-class and option user-class = "gPXE" {
                         option root-path
"iscsi:192.168.0.230::::iqn.2011-07.org.tv01:diskimg";
                         filename "";
                 } else {
                     filename "gpxe.pxe";
                 }