[mythtv-users] mythmote App and minimyth

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Aug 16 18:27:32 UTC 2012

On 8/16/2012 13:51, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 16.08.2012 19:31, schrieb Raymond Wagner:
>
>> You couldn't have possibly chosen 172.32.99.x for your IP addresses.
>> That address range is internet routeable, which means the only way you
>> would get it is if you were assigned it by your service provider, or
>> otherwise purchased it from a numbers authority. If you configured that
>> address space as your internal private network, you have a broken
>> network configuration. The range you were likely trying to hit is the
>> range...
>>
>> 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
>
> I am behind NAT, yes ... it was simply my fault back then to chose this
> weird network, I just didn't look up things correctly ...
>
> Editing my DHCP-server wouldn't be much effort, sure, but I run various
> IPSEC-tunnels which would have to be reconfigured on the other end of
> the tunnels ... this change would trigger lots of things, so I prefer to
> just find that one (tiny?) database-edit to make that frontend listen ...

What I'm getting at is not that this is a "weird" network configuration,
but rather an outright broken one. By allocating 172.32.99/24 to
yourself internally, and configuring your routing tables to point to
those addresses internally, you prevent yourself from accessing whoever
on the internet has been authoritatively assigned those addresses.

Now in practice, the whole 172/8 block is allocated to ARIN for its own
internal use, so chances are there isn't even a machine located at that
address, much less one you will ever need to talk to. It's more the
principle of the thing. In the near term, running `mythtv-setup` on your
frontend, and specifically telling MythTV to listen on that address,
will fix your issue and get things working. In the long term, it's
simply good practice to switch your systems to one of the proper private
network ranges.