[mythtv-users] Video is 'x' frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Aug 15 13:49:34 UTC 2012

> MythBuntu 12.04.1 LTS x64
> MythTV Version : v0.25
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
> Network Protocol : 72
> Library API : 0.25.20120408-1
>
> Intel Core2Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHz
> 4GB RAM DDR2 800MHz
> Zotac 430GT w/ nVidia 295.04 Drivers
>
> I'm having issues playing BluRay rips that are placed in a folder
> structure.  It only seems to be an issue with rips of that size and BluRay
> bitrate.  I'm having occasional stutters and dropped video frames as shown
> in the log I've attached.  I've disabled the vdpaubuffersize=48 and
> vdpaustudiocolor from my VDPAU Playback Profile (Advanced 2x).  I don't
> seem to be having issues with any of my 1080i MPEG2 recordings from OTA TV.
>  I've also enabled "Extra Audio Buffering" and disabled "Real-Time
> Priority".  Once I did that, I thought all was solved.  It was well over an
> hour before I saw those errors again.  Compositing has been disabled via
> xorg.conf and I've even set the nVidia PowerMizer to Performance Mode.  I
> had to do that with a separate script that runs after Xorg loads.  I added
> to AUTOSTART in MythBuntu.  I've verified that PowerMizer is set to 1 after
> a reboot.

Realtime priority and extra audio buffering should only help in situations
like this... though I would wager that the realtime option isn't actually
doing anything, unless you made the prerequisite changes in the OS.

Is your video card plugged into a full x16 slot, I know some motherboards
have slots that look like x16 but are really only x4.  I doubt it's the
issue but perhaps Blueray needs that extra bandwidth.

Is the rip stored locally, or are you pulling it across a network?

> My question:  Is my setup just too slow to handle the BluRay bitrate I'm
> trying to put through my machine?  Is it time for me to build a new front
> end machine?  Or is there something else I'm missing?  Should I ditch the
> GT430 and get a 520?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

GT520 is a step down from the GT430... you don't want to do that. (
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4268/nvidia-releases-geforce-gt-520)

It really sounds like your issue is with bandwidth somewhere between the
source files and the video card.  The GT430 should handle all of the heavy
lifting so long as you get the content to it fast enough.