[mythtv-users] Video is 'x' frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:42:37 UTC 2012

MythBuntu 12.04.1 LTS x64
MythTV Version : v0.25
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20120408-1

Intel Core2Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHz
4GB RAM DDR2 800MHz
Zotac 430GT w/ nVidia 295.04 Drivers

I'm having issues playing BluRay rips that are placed in a folder
structure.  It only seems to be an issue with rips of that size and BluRay
bitrate.  I'm having occasional stutters and dropped video frames as shown
in the log I've attached.  I've disabled the vdpaubuffersize=48 and
vdpaustudiocolor from my VDPAU Playback Profile (Advanced 2x).  I don't
seem to be having issues with any of my 1080i MPEG2 recordings from OTA TV.
 I've also enabled "Extra Audio Buffering" and disabled "Real-Time
Priority".  Once I did that, I thought all was solved.  It was well over an
hour before I saw those errors again.  Compositing has been disabled via
xorg.conf and I've even set the nVidia PowerMizer to Performance Mode.  I
had to do that with a separate script that runs after Xorg loads.  I added
to AUTOSTART in MythBuntu.  I've verified that PowerMizer is set to 1 after
a reboot.

My question:  Is my setup just too slow to handle the BluRay bitrate I'm
trying to put through my machine?  Is it time for me to build a new front
end machine?  Or is there something else I'm missing?  Should I ditch the
GT430 and get a 520?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!