[mythtv-users] Airplay alternative?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 14 15:04:51 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 04:04 AM, Staffan Pettersson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I went to a friend last weekend and hi was playing Spotify on an Ipad
> to his Airplay receiver. After that i set off reading about doing the
> same thing to my mythtv frontend. I saw that pulseaudio had support
> for the Raop protocol but was not able to get this to work. Mythtv
> shows up has a sound source on my ubuntu laptop but when i choose it
> there is no sound and it seems to kill the pulseaudio deamon :=(,
> After reading more about airplay and pulseaudio i found out that this
> funtion is pretty buggy and using tcp rather then udp :=(
>
> As i dont own a Ipad ore Iphone a was able to borrow one from work
> yesterday. I took it home with me, startet spotify and selected my
> frontend as airplay source and it worked perfectly! Even sending video
> over airplay worked :=).
>
> To my point :=)
> As i am not an apple fanboy i am searching for an alternative solution
> for doing the same thing. What i would like to be able to do is send
> audio and video from (spotify,youtube) from my ubuntu 12.04 laptop and
> maybe from android devices. Is there any good solution to do this
> without buying apple stuff?

Ideally (at least ideal to me), we'd have Miracast support (which runs
atop Wireless Direct)--it's the "meant-to-be-industry-standard" protocol
being developed by the WiFi Alliance that does everything Apple's
Airplay does, but without Apple's control/DRM/keys/lock-in/...

http://www.wi-fi.org/media/press-releases/wi-fi-alliance%C2%AE-launch-wi-fi-certified-miracast%E2%84%A2-deliver-display-applications

(Who puts a R and a TM character in a URI???  At least that craziness
shouldn't affect Miracast.)  Note, also, that any Intel WiDi-capable
devices should be upgradable to support Miracast, too.

Of course, supporting Miracast will require someone to actually write
some (a lot of) code to support it.

Mike