[mythtv-users] Airplay alternative?

Staffan Pettersson staffan.pettersson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:04:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

I went to a friend last weekend and hi was playing Spotify on an Ipad
to his Airplay receiver. After that i set off reading about doing the
same thing to my mythtv frontend. I saw that pulseaudio had support
for the Raop protocol but was not able to get this to work. Mythtv
shows up has a sound source on my ubuntu laptop but when i choose it
there is no sound and it seems to kill the pulseaudio deamon :=(,
After reading more about airplay and pulseaudio i found out that this
funtion is pretty buggy and using tcp rather then udp :=(

As i dont own a Ipad ore Iphone a was able to borrow one from work
yesterday. I took it home with me, startet spotify and selected my
frontend as airplay source and it worked perfectly! Even sending video
over airplay worked :=).

To my point :=)
As i am not an apple fanboy i am searching for an alternative solution
for doing the same thing. What i would like to be able to do is send
audio and video from (spotify,youtube) from my ubuntu 12.04 laptop and
maybe from android devices. Is there any good solution to do this
without buying apple stuff?

Kind regards Staffan