[mythtv-users] Can I pass parameters to my channel changing script?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 29 12:19:20 UTC 2012

On 04/29/2012 05:41 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My cable provider is forcing me to switch to digital. I currently have
> four HVR-1900 tuners connected to analogue cable. These are set up in
> Myth as tuners belonging to a single video source.
>
> I will be transitioning two of these tuners to a new (yet to be
> created) video source, and will connect them to a couple of set-top
> boxes instead of straight to the cable.
>
> Since these STBs are identical I need to control them with dedicated
> IT blasters. So my problem is how to tell the channel changing script
> which STB to change the channel on.
>
> I see that the LIRC channel change script on the wiki [1] is capable
> of receiving a blaster number on its command line, but how do I pass
> it to that script from Myth? Of course I looked on the wiki and googled.
>
> Of course, I could create a separate video source for each STB.

Channel change script is defined per capture card--specifically so you
don't have to create separate Video Sources for the same source of TV.

> But I'd rather not do that since it's redundant from the scheduler's
> point of view: I'd have to load the XMLTV data into the database twice
> (and more if I ever get a third/fourth STB).

Just set up a different script for each capture card or--assuming the
script you're using accepts the "blaster number" before the channel
number--change your external channel change script for each capture card to:

my_channel_change_script <blasternumber>

and let MythTV stick the channel number on the end after that.

Mike