[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:35:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 09:12:13PM +0100, Gordon McCrae wrote:
> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling
> the old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary
> solution at best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses
> alternative music players that implement the same sort of
> ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure that the old MythMusic used and can be
> controlled simply with a remote control (no keyboards on any of my
> eight MythTV systems).

Just to throw another idea out there, here's what I do.  This is
driven not by any issue with MythTV (I'm still on 0.24), but by the
fact that I don't want to turn my power-hungy plasma TV on just to
listen to music.

I run MPD (music player daemon) on my frontend box.  I have a
wireless network in my home and my wife and I each have Android
phones.  There are at least two free Android MPD clients (I used
"Droid MPD Client").  I would be surprised if there weren't iPhone
MPD clients as well.

My FE uses optical SPDIF output to a preamp/DAC, using alsa withOUT
dmix for bit-perfect output.  I can control volume via this preamp
device via my universal remote.

Of course you don't have to use a smartphone, you could also use a
laptop or nettop, or even turn on your TV and load up an MPD app
instead of Myth (e.g. similar to others have suggested using XBMC).
Last time I checked, it seemed there were dozens of MPD clients (I
happen to use the text-based ncmpcpp, and even then only rarely, as
most control is via my phone).

I think what I'm doing is very similar to what I understand the
Squeeze-type devices do... but I didn't have to buy any extra
hardware.

Hope someone finds this useful!