[mythtv-users] Have audio, no video

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 23 21:17:58 UTC 2012

Josh Norell <josh at kci.net> wrote on Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:41:31AM -0600:
> Yesterday morning, my myth frontend was working fine. Last night I
> went to play a show, and I had audio, but video is black. I do
> however get OSD stuffs. Frontend is an asrock, with nvidia ION,
> running 24.1. I tried setting the playback profile to "Normal" from
> Vdpau, and got no change. So I don't believe it's a vdpau issue. I
> have rebooted. Any ideas? Here's the playback log, which doesn't
> seem to offer much help. Thanks
>
> [snip]

Something similar happened to me a couple weeks ago. I'm running
0.24.1-fixes with an NVidia G210 card and an Intel i3-540 CPU. One day
audio and video were fine, the next day I had audio but video was
black. I'd made no software or hardware updates in between. The logs
didn't appear to offer any clues. I tried connecting via both HDMI and
VGA, but it made no difference. In my case I had been having other
problems in the box (random shutdowns), so I thought the culprit was
failing hardware.

Unlike you, switching to the Normal profile worked for me. I was also
able to get video by creating a new profile that used the Standard
decoder with the vdpau renderer. I'm curious whether that will make
any difference for you.

I too welcome additional troubleshooting ideas for this issue.