[mythtv-users] Have audio, no video

Josh Norell josh at kci.net
Thu Apr 26 14:17:57 UTC 2012

On 04/23/2012 03:17 PM, Joey Morris wrote:
> Something similar happened to me a couple weeks ago. I'm running
> 0.24.1-fixes with an NVidia G210 card and an Intel i3-540 CPU. One day
> audio and video were fine, the next day I had audio but video was
> black. I'd made no software or hardware updates in between. The logs
> didn't appear to offer any clues. I tried connecting via both HDMI and
> VGA, but it made no difference. In my case I had been having other
> problems in the box (random shutdowns), so I thought the culprit was
> failing hardware.
>
> Unlike you, switching to the Normal profile worked for me. I was also
> able to get video by creating a new profile that used the Standard
> decoder with the vdpau renderer. I'm curious whether that will make
> any difference for you.
>
> I too welcome additional troubleshooting ideas for this issue.

Well, after a number of hours fiddling things, including
purging/re-installing Myth, Xorg, and gnome, I gave up and re-installed
the OS. That "fixed" the issue. But it would still be nice if anyone has
any thoughts on what caused the issue.

I could play my recordings with mplayer using vdpau just fine. I did try
using the standard decoder and vdpau renderer with no change.

Josh