[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Apr 17 01:15:29 UTC 2012

Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> says:
> There have been plenty of discussions related to using commercial
> products with mythtv: remote, cable cards, VoD (paid services),
> applications (Android comes to mind). I never saw such strong
> position before.

Yes, but we list members don't make and sell those products and
services. As Chris stated in the IRC log Robert quoted, if "Hauppauge
or Ceton or NVidia or ATI" was on the list advertising its products
people would rightly complain. (SchedulesDirect is a nonprofit, and
its revenue directly benefits the MythTV project, but even it has its
own forum for non MythTV-related issues like erroneous program
listings.)

When Gavin Hurlbut last year solicited interest in that little HD-PVR
power-cycling gadget, he almost immediately took further discussion
off the list and created another for it. (I bought one.) I doubt the
developers would have objected to Robert similarly making a one-time
announcement that pointed those interested in more information to a
Torc Website or mailing list or forum. Instead, he stated:

> I am rejoining the list for the near future to keep you apprised of
> the status of Torc for iOS, a mobile frontend compatible with MythTV
> 0.25 and Torc.

. . . and the thread proceeded from there. That's a problem.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg